Safe Use of the Internet
Using the Internet is not only fun, but it is a source of a lot of information. It is also a great way to communicate and talk to friends.
It is important to know how to stay safe when using the internet. Here are some ideas to help you.
It is a good idea to talk about these safety tips with an adult:
1. Only use the Internet when your parents tell you it's OK, and only for as long as you're supposed to.
2. Always have good manners and be polite when you use the Internet and e-mail or chat.
3. Never meet with an Internet friend unless your parents go with you.
4. Don't give out personal information like your address, telephone number or school name to anyone unless your parents say it's OK.
5. Don't send pictures of yourself or your family to anyone unless your parents say it's OK.
6. Always tell your parents about the people you meet or talk to on the Internet.
7. Don't break copyright rules by taking words, pictures or sound from someone else's Web site without their permission.
8. If you ever get an e-mail message that is strange, mean or upsetting to you, don't answer back to it! Tell your parents or teachers right away!
9. Ask your parents to spend time with you so that you can show them the sites you like to visit.
10. Sometimes, when you are on the Internet, you may accidentally meet bad people or see things that are bad, but it's NOT YOUR FAULT!!! If something you read or look at is upsetting, just stop looking at it, and tell your parents or teachers right away.